Saturday, July 11, 2009

Safety first...hmmm...

There was a time not too long ago where excitement and fun was more important than anything else in the world. Every activity was pursued with passion and enthusiasm with little care for safety. In my early thirties, I started scubadiving. It was FUN! Super fun! But I found myself also concerned with safety. I paid extra attention to all the gear and procedures. I was very attentive when on the boat, not just to my own stuff but also to the others around. During dives, I was particularly concerned that everyone stayed as a group. I was, very often (especially when someone else was leading), at the back of the group ensuring that nobody was left wandering around. I took up a rescue course which included first aid and oxygen administration. Well, I went beyond what most leisure divers would go.

I must be getting old then because now in my early forties I am starting to get concerned with safety on the roads! Maybe it has something to do with me taking up motorcycle lessons. But I suspect age has a lot to do with it as well. I am starting to notice how people are driving. Most with very little regard to the safety of other road users...and many with no regard to their own! Changing lanes abruptly in a car presents an opportunity for accidents to happen. Changing lanes abruptly in a motorcycle is just plain dumb. Still so many do it that I am beginning to wonder if these people think their skin is tougher than metal! And on that bombshell (I just love the way Jeremy Clarkson says this), I decided that I will ride ATTGAT (All The Gear All The Time), adopting the attitude of gearing up for the fall rather than the ride.

So I did a mountain of research and found so many options it was mind-boggling! There were so many things to consider: material options, impact protection options, stitching methods, rain options, wind options, temperature options, suits, two piece, waist cut, full 3/4 length, colour options and style options. The possibilities were endless!

Leather is considered by many as the best material for abrasion protection and it is used by many racers. However, the weather in Singapore renders leather impractical as I will probably end up dying from dehydration and heat exhaustion!

Nylon was the best alternative and many manufacturers offered a "mesh" material allowing lots of ventilation to keep the rider cool. Unfortunately, many use a nylon weave that is too thin (500+ denier) which tears too easily when rubbed on the roads. Furthermore, almost all manufacturers coat their stuff with PolyUrethane on the inside and this coating will melt in a slide due to the high temperatures and will stick to the skin...road rash and all.

Then there was the problem with fit. Most jackets were either too tight or the sleeves were too long. And pants had similar fit issues. The armour is either in the wrong place or were swimming around inside which rendered them useless. I tried some jackets with innovative air bags but they were too heavy (and i had a lot of reservations about the distributor in question too). Either the manufacturers are using people with strange body proportions or I have a fat tummy with short hands and legs. Whichever the case, the only real option would be a tailor-fit suit/pants combo.

I was beginning to think that my quest to ride ATTGATT was going to go up in smoke. And since I wasn't prepared to compromise safety (yeah, it must be an age thing), my motorcycle riding ambitions was almost doomed until I found a rather obscure little company from California called Motoport. They made products from a material that is stronger than leather AND provided better ventilation than jeans! To top it off, this material is uncoated AND is approved for racing. And the other thing is...they tailor-fit it to your size!! The only problems were that they did not have a presence in Asia and their products cost is rather high. I read many testimonials from customers who survived some terrible crashes though, and eventually, I decided that spending money on gear is better than spending money (and time) in a hospital!
So am I getting old? You decide. The most interesting factor towards your answer might be this: I spent more on protection gear than on the motorcycle. Hahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment