Saturday, August 22, 2009

23 August 2009 ride report

So early this morning shunoski suggest that we should catch the sunrise at Punggol Jetty. Since it was raining heavily when I saw his post slightly past midnight, I thought it made for a good opportunity for photographs...IF it stopped raining by then. So we agreed to meet up at the jetty at 6:45am. Unfortunately, I got hooked watching some documentary about warships (don't ask why) and stayed up till 2:30am. Anyway, I set my alarm (3 alarms actually) for 5:45am and went to bed.

It was still drizzling when I eventually got up at 6am. I could hear the pitter patter of the rain drops outside my bathroom window. The sound was very pleasant and the air was light. I wasn't sure if it was such a great idea to ride early in the morning in such wet conditions...but an agreement is an agreement and I quickly prepared myself. It takes me awhile to get into my gear...especially early in the morning when I'm trying to be quiet and not wake the house :-)

Eventually I set off. I got to the jetty around 6:40am and the light was already out...as usual...my bed was a little too comfortable for me to want to leave it in the early morning. So I quickly made my way to the jetty and started shooting.


I was shooting for a little while and then I noticed this little motorboat coming into shore. I realized it was picking up some passengers, probably for an early spot of fishing. I waited for it to move off and snapped this picture as I wanted something in the foreground.

I walked around to the west-facing side of the jetty and found that the other side of the beach was strewn with rocks and that someone was walking towards the rocks. I thought it looked very idyllic and serene. So I waited till he got into the frame and snapped this picture.


This picture really reminded me of the many times I went diving and went out early to catch the sunrise on the jetty of the islands that we were at. It also reminded me of the times I was at Bali when I spent the entire morning walking around the beach when the tide was still out. It was fantastic!

I decided to get onto the beach for a different perspective. I had forgotten how slippery the steps were on jetties and was reminded in a very painful way when I slipped and fell down five or six steps. I landed heavily on my back and slid down to the sand. Luckily for me, I was wearing my riding jacket/pants combo which had armour on my back and hips! Still, the fall did take the wind out of me.

Around this time, I noticed a series of waves coming in. You see, it was nice and quiet earlier and I think the tide was just making a move to come in. So I went close to the water edge and snapped some shots with the stones.


I don't know about you but I love stones. They just give me a feeling of strength and beauty. These stones were much larger before. They got to be this small due to the erosion that happens after many years of being washed by the waves. I am sure they will turn into beautiful, smooth pebbles one day, much like the one I saw in the movie Departures.

As I was going to move off, I saw a boat coming in again, this time to disembark a passenger. I thought it was fitting (since I started the series with a boat departing) that I end this series with a boat arriving. I quickly got into position and snapped this.


This reminded me of some old pictures, especially an obscure Bruce Lee one where he came from some part of China and landed in Nanyang (Singapore, I suppose). Of course in the movie the jetty was a much smaller one made of wood. Still, you get the idea.

We headed off after this. On our way out, I noticed the sun was peeking through the clouds and was SO BEAUTIFUL! Unfortunately, I have already packed my camera away. So you will have to wait for another day to see that sight.

Until next time, have a great day!

Visit my smugmug gallery for more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment