Friday, September 18, 2009

18 September 2009 ride report - R6!!!

Now and then I come across a photograph and will be completely compelled by it. I simply cannot take my eyes off it. I look at every part of the image and marvel at the skill of the photographer, wishing that I was there at the scene when it happened. After awhile, I too start noticing similar images occurring around me. By studying the original image I have somehow trained myself to see in a new way and my vision is expanded.

While I was never a professional photographer, I have always been fascinated with capturing images. I return to the same places multiple times looking to surprise myself with a fresh angle...and when it happens...it is MAGIC! People asked me many times if I ever get bored riding around the same roads in Singapore. Well, I have been driving these roads for more than 20 years and I am not yet bored...now that I am riding...brand new angles are surfacing with each ride...how can I be bored?

I went riding tonight with Jason around town, looking for nice places to photograph motorcycles. I am sure many of you have seen photographs of motorcycles (and cars for the matter) on the internet. They all look rather similar, don't they? Somehow, most people take pictures of their bikes in the car park or in the porch. I suppose that is the most convenient way to get a picture taken. Tonight's quest was to find a better backdrop for the motorcycle...something that will bring out the bike in a new way...a new angle...a new vision!

As we were riding along the stretch of Alexandra Road between Delta Road and Tanglin Road, I noticed the bright lights of what looked like a stadium. I thought the quality of the light looked very unique so it could be a possible place for a nice picture. So we turned in and rode right up to the gate and parked Jason's bike (a beautiful Yamaha R6) right next to it. Then we started experimenting with the camera. After a few attempts, I saw the stadium lights striking the motorcycle in a dramatic way and decided to capture it.

I like the way the lines of the gate made the stadium lights so much more spectacular. The lights also cast a nice shadow on the road. I especially liked the way the tail of the bike is accentuated (almost looks embossed) by the backlighting. The first few attempts at this angle did not bring out the engine of the bike because of the severe backlighting. So I used a flash light to light up the engine so it is more visible. This way the bike looks more complete.

After that, I was getting ready to go. As I turned, I saw the wall just to the right of the bike. I asked Jason to reposition his bike and then took this picture.

What captivated me was the way the stadium lights cast shadows of the trees and the gate on the wall. The multiple lights in the stadium made the shadow look like a Chinese painting. I think it looks really pretty. The colour of the wall contrasted nicely with the bike as well...I really liked how this turned out.

It was time to move on. I remember that there were some railway tracks visible from Kampung Bahru Road and headed over there. Unfortunately, the place did not look one bit like how I had remembered it. Well, that's how it is with this kind of ride...its hit and miss. Sometimes I find something really cool...other times...disappointment!

Next stop then...I wanted to capture the lights on the shophouses along Telok Ayer. Unfortunately, the street did not look all that conducive for photography tonight. So I decided to go back to the red building that I was at before. I have always liked this building - the old Traffic Police building - especially since it was painted a bold red! I already had the image in mind so Jason parked his bike and off I went to capture the image.

This looks like an easy picture to capture, doesn't it? But would you believe it took me almost 20 minutes before I got a satisfactory image? Well, my original vision was to capture this with an 85mm lens from across the road. Unfortunately, I could not quite get the lighting right. So after many tries, I gave up and used my wide angle instead. Still, I love the way the red building interacts with the blue bike. This is a classic image and I simply LOVE it!

Next stop...something a little different. I wanted to do something with the bridge at the Esplanade. When we got there, I realized it looked completely different from my imagination again...but this time its because of the Formula One preparations. As we rode through the roads there, I felt like I was riding in bright daylight! The roads were beautifully lit. There was no glare. It was crystal clear and super bright. No wonder they can have such a high powered race there at night!

Eventually, I decided to give this little monument the opportunity to be photographed with a sexy sportsbike. Again, the lighting was tough here because of those street lamps backlighting the bike. Plus the sky wasn't cooperating as there was too thick a cloud cover which made it completely featureless. Undeterred, I pressed on and finally got this picture.

As you can see, I had to play with the flash light a little more creatively to get the bike illuminated in just the right way, and to have the shadow dance across the steps menacingly. I liked how this turned out though...pity the sky is featureless, isn't it?

I was hungry by this time and really wanted to have supper. So we packed up and decided to head for some food at Chong Pang. Along the way, we took some of the nicer riding roads - Orange Grove Road, Gymkhana Road, Old Upper Thomson Road - you know these, right? It was really fun. I could not resist stopping in the middle of Old Upper Thomson Road for a picture.

I didn't realize that Jason had these cool LEDs running under his seat there at the back until now! When those lights were switched on, they made the bike look more prominent in the picture. I don't know why but I do love these lonely roads. They do make for such a thought provoking picture, don't you think?

At this point, Jason's camera started to act up (he got some really nice shots in his point-and-shoot compact camera tonight) and we decided it was a sign that supper was calling. So we rode the rest of the road and made our way for supper!!!

Tonight's ride surprised me. I always knew that I enjoyed photography...tonight I realized that I enjoyed sharing my photography with others. I felt more alive when we were talking about the pictures we wanted to capture. One thing is for sure though...I will be doing more of these photography sharing rides in the near future...don't miss it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment